Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tavshya dodhak( Cucumber Dodhak)


I tried to create my own recipe for this traditional dodhak. I feel like I am stepping into my Ajji's shoes, where nothing was ever created from scratch. She always had to mix something and come up with a new and yummy tasting dish. In this case I had leftover cucumber raita, that we had made several nights ago, and it ended up being a little salty. I hate to waste things or throw away stuff, that has not gone "bad". I think this ended up very tasty , nutritious and yummy breakfast treat. You can never go wrong with this preparation.
Ingredients:
1 cup leftover cucumber raita
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/2 chopped green chilly
1/4 cup cilantro
2 cups coarse organic white rice flour
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 cup oil
salt to taste
Add all the chopped fresh ingredients( coconut, green chilly, cilantro) to the raita, and mix in the rice flour and all purpose flour to bind it. The batter should be soft and easy to pick up with your hands.
On a flat cast iron griddle, place a large handful( 1/2 cup) of dough and spread it with wetted fingers, to a round shape. Drizzle a little oil around the dodhak and cover with a lid, keeping it on medium to high heat, until the edges turn brown. Flip and cook on the other side with a little more oil if needed, for extra crispy texture.
Serve with green chutney, or sweet butter.

No comments: